Sunday, December 28, 2008

Slowly but not so steadily

I had a four day holiday this weekend starting from Christmas. It was a nice opportunity to practice on my driving. At the end of it, I see that I drove around 65 Km. in some 2 and 1/2 hours time.

I drove not more than 40-45 Km/hr and mostly I kept my speed just below the 40 mark. Many a times at the signals, I stalled the engine due to that nasty clutch, which I release suddenly and with a jerk, or without applying sufficient gas. I was also lousy sometimes on the main roads especially the busy ones. On one occasion, a Blue Line bus (the most dreaded public transport bus service of Delhi, aka Killer Buses) nearly slammed onto my co-driver door at the Bhikaji Cama flyover. I was dutifully driving at around 40 Km/hr in the middle lane. Thanks to the fellow on the extreme right lane behind me, he slowed down so that I could swing the car onto the right lane and drive away. Driving here by rules can be dangerous, so I had been taught a number of times.

On the positive side, I am atleast able to do some basic driving. On relatively empty roads I am able to drive and manage the gear changing stuff fine. Night driving and congested road driving is what is on the list next.

By the way here is a pic., that I took from my car, waiting at the Vijay Chowk signal. You can see the Parliament in this. I thought of taking one of the India Gate too, but for that I had to stop my car and get out of it... something that I was not interested in doing.

2 comments:

  1. Good going! Looks like the driving is picking up speed. :)

    I don't know too much about the rules and all, but I'd read somewhere that the rules of driving are simple, whoever is bigger , gets right of way. so naturally that blue line, will always have right of way before you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Will keep that in mind

    ReplyDelete

तुम आओ तो सही...

This blog of mine, would be saying to me the same thing... एक वादा करो अब हमसे ना बिछड़ोगे कभी, नाज़ हम सारे उठा लेंगे, तुम आओ तो सही। An...