Sunday, April 15, 2007

Experience with Vista

I am one of those, who love to hate the products from Redmond. I always preferred Linux for Operating system and Open Office for word processing. I am mostly against its blatant use of monopoly over the desktop software. However, frankly I find the GUI of Windoze much more smoother in operation than other OSs. (Never tried a Mac. PC though).

Finally, I went for Vista Home Premium. Got it installed on my PC, and the first thing that I expected it to do was to wipe out my XOSL boot loader from the MBR. It did! But what I did not expect was poor driver support, especially for my Sound Card and Ge Force 6200 video card. The SoundMax driver was automatically updated by Vista, however.

Tragedy struck when I played an AVI file in Windows Media Player 11. The screen went blank, and I received my first BSOD, after the era of Windows 98. It caused physical damage to my newly purchased SATA 250 GB drive. Frantic search on the Internet revealed that this a known problem, as NVidia is struggling to release stable drivers for Vista.

Yesterday, I however stabilized my PC. I purchased a new Barracuda 160 GB hard drive, and configured it as Primary Master. I had to use my existing installation of Vista to format the new disk drive. I re-installed and re-activated Vista.

Today I found a neat software, EasyBCD that provides a GUI interface to modify the Boot Loader of Vista. Now I am able to boot to my Linux partition as well. For video files I will wait for NVidia before they either give up releasing new drivers or release a stable one. In the former case, I will have to choose a different vendor for my next video card.

Now I am in friendship with Vista as it allows me the flexibility to switch to my favorite OS anytime I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

तुम आओ तो सही...

This blog of mine, would be saying to me the same thing... एक वादा करो अब हमसे ना बिछड़ोगे कभी, नाज़ हम सारे उठा लेंगे, तुम आओ तो सही। An...