Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Pioneer

I don't know what winter does to me. Today was another sombre day at home. Fortunately, I put on a Begum Akhtar CD on the music system and it helped a lot in stabilizing my senses :)

Now, I have earlier remarked that BA, is one from my list of three favorite singers. She had pioneered the "semi-classical-ization" of the ghazals in our country. The album is unique in the sense that every ghazal is preceded by a short dialog by the 'Mallika-e-Ghazal'.

Below is ghazal that was all over me today, and a down-sampled version of the same.

ख़ुदा के वास्ते आ बेरुख़ी से काम न ले,
तड़प के फिर कोई दामन को तेरे थाम न ले|

बस एक सज्दा-ऐ-शुकराना पा-ऐ-नाज़ुक पर,
ये मैकदा है यहाँ पर ख़ुदा का नाम न ले|

ज़माने भर में हैं चर्चे मेरी तबाही के,
मैं डर रहा हूँ कहीं कोई तेरा नाम न ले|

मिटा दो शौक़ से मुझको मगर कहीं तुमसे,
ज़माना मेरी तबाही का इंतकाम न ले|

जिसे तू देख ले इक बार मस्त नज़रों से,
वो उम्र भर कभी हाथों में अपने जाम न ले|

रखूँ उम्मीद-ऐ-करम उससे अब मैं क्या 'साहिर',
की जब नज़र से भी ज़ालिम मेरा सलाम न ले|
-- साहिर भोपाली

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

No comments:

Post a Comment

तुम आओ तो सही...

This blog of mine, would be saying to me the same thing... एक वादा करो अब हमसे ना बिछड़ोगे कभी, नाज़ हम सारे उठा लेंगे, तुम आओ तो सही। An...