Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Troubled Neighbourhood

Our neighbour is in trouble and it saddens me. I would like to see the happy faces and a peaceful existence for the common man in that country.

The steps taken to contain rising terrorism and military reverses there, are open for debate, and I am least bothered with them. What worries me is the fact that if things go wrong, we could have a situation, where the military revolts, and different factions are formed within the armed forces. When that happens, all hell will break loose. A neighbour who is internally disturbed tries to find quick solutions by diverting attention to external issues, and 'manufacturing' situations in the region. I hope we are prepared and our neighbour is matured enough.

Reminding me of the 'marshal law', I heard very strong comments by Ahmed Faraz, when it was imposed during the younger days of his life. He even cited, the reason for staying out of his mother land painfully, in his ghazal "Qurb-e-jaana na maikhaane ka mausam aaya....".

Staying with Faraz, just remembered a classic rendition by Lata Mangeshkar of his ghazal in 'Sajda':

Aankh se door na ho dil se utar jaayega,
Waqt ka kya hai guzarta hai guzar jaayega.

Tum sar-e-raah-e-wafa dekhte rah jaaoge,
Aur wo baam-e-rafaaqat se utar jaayega.

You can listen to more of this ghazal in Faraz's voice:

Ankh_se_door.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment

तुम आओ तो सही...

This blog of mine, would be saying to me the same thing... एक वादा करो अब हमसे ना बिछड़ोगे कभी, नाज़ हम सारे उठा लेंगे, तुम आओ तो सही। An...